‘Urgent review’ of epilepsy medicine shortages needed, say group of MPs

A group of 45 cross-party MPs have signed a letter to Wes Streeting calling for “an urgent review into ongoing medication shortages”, saying that if action is not taken, the crisis will “worsen”.

Medicine shortages
"It is vital the health secretary takes action now before there's another tragedy”

Some 45 MPs have signed a letter calling on health secretary Wes Streeting to commission an “urgent review into the ongoing shortage of vital medications across the country”.

Published earlier this week (February 24), the letter stressed it “is crucial that the cause of this shortfall and potential solutions are understood if we are to safeguard people’s health and ensure they have their life-saving medications”.

Read more: Parliamentary group calls for pharmacists’ views on medicines shortages

MPs were joined in their call for a review by the charities Epilepsy Society, Epilepsy Action and SUDEP Action, highlighting that “there are 630,000 people in the UK with epilepsy... [and] we all have constituents whose lives have been deeply, sometimes irreversibly, damaged by the shortage of medications they need to function and live”.

It comes after a senior coroner last month raised concerns about shortages of epilepsy medication following the death of David Crompton, aged 44, who was left without his anti-epileptic medication in December and died as a result.

Read more: ‘New normal’ of medicine shortages a ‘significant burden on pharmacists’

“The delays experienced in getting their vital treatment have forced patients to go without their medication or switch to inadequate alternatives [and] doing so places those with epilepsy at risk of sudden, sometimes fatal, seizures,” the letter to Streeting continued.

“A review into the UK’s medicines supply chain and potential solutions is critical if we are to resolve this crisis,” it said, adding that “if action is not taken to properly understand the crisis we face, and explore potential solutions, it will worsen”.

Take action

Lead signatory of the letter Labour MP for Lancaster and Wyre Cat Smith said that “it is vital that the health secretary takes action now before there is another tragedy”.

“One death is a death too many. Our hearts go out to the family and friends of David,” she said.

“We hope we can work together to do what is best for the health of our constituents and of the country,” the letter added, calling for a meeting with Streeting “to discuss this pressing issue”.

Read more: ‘Significant disappointments’: DH rejects generic substitution recs

Meanwhile, pharmacy minister Stephen Kinnock this week (February 24) wrote to the Health and Social Care Committee’s (HSCC) chair Layla Moran to provide further information on the government’s response to its pharmacy report, which was published last month.

Talking about Serious Shortage Protocols (SSPs), he said that “we are committed to cutting the red tape and to better utilising the skills of pharmacists”.

“However, where a pharmacist is not a prescriber, they may not have access to all the patient information or know the reason why a patient may have been prescribed a specific product and hence switching to alternatives could introduce patient safety implications and uncertainty amongst prescribers as to what medicine their patients received,” he added.

Sign in or register for free

Molly Bowcott

Read more by Molly Bowcott

Molly Bowcott joined C+D as a digital reporter in October 2024 after graduating from a master’s in journalism at City, University of London. She previously worked as a news reporter at the U.S. Sun, covering business and politics, among other things.

Latest from Regulation

Government to introduce hub-and-spoke regs in ‘the coming weeks’

 
• By 
 • comment

The government has announced that it is “going with” hub-and-spoke model one, following “overwhelmingly positive” responses to its consultation on the reforms.

Gordons Chemist pharmacy manager suspended for POM theft

 
• By 
 • comment

A Northern Irish fitness-to-practise (FtP) committee has suspended a pharmacist for six months after he “unlawfully obtained” prescription-only medicines (POMs) from his workplace “without a valid prescription”.

‘Criminal’ pharmacist pair struck off for Class C drug supply

 
• By 
 • comment

Two pharmacists have been struck off the register in separate hearings after being convicted of supplying controlled Class C drugs for their own “financial gain”.

More from News

Pharmacies can ‘change’ core hours under new contract

 
• By 
 • comment

The government has announced that pharmacies in England will be able to undergo an “application process” to change the days and times of their core opening hours to “better serve their patients”.

Pharmacy First, contraception and BP ‘bundling’ delayed

 
• By 
 • comment

Rules that would have required pharmacies to provide three services in order to qualify for a fixed monthly payment have been delayed by two months.