C+D readers want codeine linctus to switch from P to POM, poll shows

Over two thirds of pharmacy professionals who responded to C+D’s snapshot poll believe that codeine linctus should be reclassified as a prescription-only medicine (POM).

exclusive
MHRA_0.jpg
MHRA: We are keeping the legal status of codeine linctus under review

Of the 150 respondents to the poll – which ran on the C+D website from March 11–22 – 105 (70%) said they think codeine linctus should be reclassified from a pharmacy (P) medicine to a POM, while only 15% of respondents thought it should not be reclassified.

Twenty-three (15%) respondents said they no longer stocked the product.

Result

Do you think codeine linctus should be reclassified from a P medicine to POM?

Yes

70%

No

15%

N/A, we don't really stock this product anymore

15%

Total votes: 150

Codeine products “under review”

These findings come as the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) told C+D last month that it is keeping the supply of codeine-based products “under review”, following a rise in concerns of over-supply or of it falling into the wrong hands.

Following the results of C+D’s snapshot poll, a spokesperson for the medicines regulator said: “The MHRA continuously monitors the safety of all medicines and seeks advice from the Commission on Human Medicines and its expert working groups on whether regulatory action is required when there is significant new evidence of a safety concern.

“The MHRA is keeping the legal status of codeine, including codeine linctus, under review and will consider all sources of evidence and information relating to this issue,” the spokesperson said.

Addiction concerns

Helen Devoy, a community pharmacist at Reach Pharmacy in Glasgow, said while reclassifying codeine linctus could help to tackle codeine addiction, she is concerned about a lack of support available to deal with the issue.

“Switching codeine from P to POM might make some people actually realise they are addicted and spur them on to tackle the issue. But, where will they go? Who will help them?” she asked.

Chris Campbell, a locum pharmacist based in Scotland, said: “We have such a bad codeine problem, cutting legitimate supplies would lead to a significant number of ‘addicts’ turning to black markets for their needs.

“This would lead to them being exposed to drug dealers who would lead them along different addiction pathways,” he suggested.

“Without significant investment by the government, the switch from P to POM would be an utter disaster.”

Solution to harassment issues

Meanwhile, a dispenser, who asked to remain anonymous, told C+D that they had a recent negative experience of declining to sell codeine linctus: “We had a patient trying to buy it a few weeks ago who got quite aggressive because we refused the sale.”

This was echoed by another pharmacist, who said: “I am fed up of the conversations with addicted people who try and repeatedly buy!”

Sign in or register for free

Latest from News

All the headlines: Community pharmacy funding deal

 
• By 
 • comment0

Find out everything you need to know about the government’s plans for community pharmacy – as outlined in this week’s long-awaited pharmacy funding deal.

Pharmacy stop-smoking service expands to ‘non-registered’ staff

 
• By 
 • comment0

The new pharmacy contract has expanded who can deliver the smoking cessation service, as well as adding the provision of two drugs via PGDs.

Revealed: 2024/25 contract cash uplift already paid

 
• By 
 • comment5

Following this week’s announcement of the long-awaited pharmacy funding deal, C+D has learned that contractors have already received the additional £106 million in retrospective funding for 2024/25.

More from Business

exclusive

Revealed: Pharmacy weight loss consultations rocket twenty-fold

 
• By 
 • comment

Consultation numbers for a pharmacy service provider’s weight management service have grown “exponentially” in the last year, C+D has learned.

Pharmacist MPs and minister vote down NICs hike exemption

 
• By 
 • comment

The pharmacy minister and pharmacist MPs Sadik Al-Hassan and Taiwo Owatemi have all voted against exempting pharmacies from the upcoming national insurance hike.